The Leeds and Selby Railway came into existence in March 1829. James Walker and his team surveyed a line for the railway, with the plan calling for the line to run from Marsh Lane Leeds, terminating just downstream of the Selby Toll Bridge. At first, there was some opposition to the proposed route, but finally Royal Assent was granted by the House of Lords in May 1829. Work on the railway line began in October 1830 at the Leeds end of the line.
Part of the 1885 proposed Sewer Map – it shows the Railway Station and the track layout on the riverside Railway and Bridge Wharves. It also contains the Custom House.
Horsemen and railway horses at Selby Station (c. 1888).
Horseman posing with his railway horse, and the Toll Bridge is visible in the background (c. 1910).
Working on widening the approach to the Richmond Hill , Leeds Tunnel (c. 1885).
Workmen posing with one of the engines used to widen the railway approaches (1885).
Artistic depiction of the Leeds & Selby Railway.
Leeds & Selby Railway wagon dimensions for lime and coal (c. 1836).
Photos are from Selby: The Industrial Past – Roland Chilvers.
- 1820s - 1880s
- Ref no
- Selby : Abbot Staithe
- Eight photos
- 1820, 1830